The workshop is expected to bring Nordic scientists together and is the initiation of a Nordic Center of Excellence on the characteristics and utilization of Calanus finmarchicus and similar species for human consumption.
The topics discussed at the event will furthermore summarize and add knowledge in the following areas:
- Detailed mapping of the genetic and physicochemical composition of Calanus, as found in North Atlantic waters as affected by fishing grounds and season
- Optimized treatment during the collection and purification of Calanus
- Increased knowledge on the enzymatic composition, characteristics and activity of Calanus
- Increased understanding on the effect of Calanus on pelagic fish species and development of methods to prevent deterioration of pelagic fish products due to the effects of Calanus
- Improved knowledge on extraction and purification methods to obtain high quality ingredients from Calanus of the above mentioned sources. These ingredients may then be used for further development of product for human consumption
- Bringing together the knowledge on the ecology of Calanus, other zooplankton and mesopelagic fish
- Detailed information on storage stability, safety and quality of the developed ingredients and products from Calanus and other mesopelagic species.